Jan 29, 2010

The Snake & the Frog

Few days back, while me and some of my friends were sitting at the Reddi's near the Guest House gate of college, we see people gathering around looking at something, and then when we went close we saw a weird sort of creature (well, thats what I thought initially). But, then later on we figured out that it was a snake, with frog in its mouth. We also discovered that it was a small cobra, by that very peculiar mark on its back. The scene was actually disturbing in a way - a frog trying to get away from it to save its life, and we were just standing over there, watching it die. Not just watching, but taking photos and videos, too. Sad, indeed. But, no one could do anything. The snake was very small compared to the frog, as in, I didn't think that it could gulp the frog with its mouth being so small. Initially, the frog actually got off the cobra, but by this time, the cobra had already infected it with its poison. And it had started its effect already. We waited there for like 45 minutes, by this time the frog had probably died, but the cobra was still unsure of where to go, because there were so many people standing around it. It took a lot of time for it to find a passage to go. This was the third snake incident I noticed in college this semester. In the first one, the snake was shedding its skin(the process is called Moulting) near our civil department. The second one was right outside our Mega Hostel Mess, where a rat snake was confused as to where to go.

I'd taken some shots of the snake eating the frog. Here they are:




2 comments:

  1. Oh man, what a shit! You know, the first thing that came to my mind while reading this was a dialog in our XI or XII English book of short stories in which a small British girl asks an Indian (probably, Karan Singh, author of the story in context) which was something like, "Isn't India a country full of snakes, tigers & fever?" :( The reply to which was quite diplomatic, a point which this post exposed! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know that much about north. But believe me, in south India(according to what I've seen myself and what I've watched on NatGeo and Discovery channel), there are pretty lots of them. Our college is in middle of nowhere, its just like a jungle, its got flora and fauna of its own, apart from the faculty and the students, of course. In first year, I remember seeing a chameleon, I was totally shocked. But in a way, it's good, you get to see creatures in their natural environment, which will be, otherwise, always behind fence.

    ReplyDelete