Feb 15, 2010

My Name is Khan - Beautifully Crafted, SRK at his best!





The one mistake that I did, for this movie, was that I went with high expectations. Well, I don't say it was bad, but if I had gone blank, I'd have been more satisfied. The movie kicks off with SRK being detained in the airport, for chanting and acting weird by Security officials. After being released, SRK looks back at his life, and writes his whole journey in a diary, addressing Mandira (Kajol), his wife. He then begins his journey to meet the President of US, to say that he is a Muslim and, he is not a terrorist. Since, he suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, he finds difficulty in interacting with people, can't tolerate noisy environment and is scared of yellow color. In the first half, when Khan works for his brother Zakir, in selling beauty products, he was so sweet and honest, that I came up with the tagline - Rizwan Khan - Salesman of the Year. Well, I won't go much into the whole story in here. But, it basically deals with the condition of Muslims pre-9/11 and post-9/11, as is mentioned in the movie, just like how B.C. and A.D. were made. The subject is dealt with maturity, and is really heart-touching at many places. Karan Johar finally gets out of the lovey-dovey cinema into sensible one. And, what a way to begin. He has kept in mind with many finer details, considering the verses from Holy Qura'an, even Hadith, for that matter. I do wonder, if non-Muslims will understand them, but they've been dealt keeping everyone in mind. One friend of mine asked me, as to why SRK carries stones all the time with him, which I replied him, was for chanting verses from Quran, called Tazbih. The second half gets a bit draggy, but its not boring at any instance, though.

The thing which I really liked was the casting - Zarina Wahab, Sonya Jehan, Jimmy Shergill, Tanay Chedda - all perfectly suited in their roles. Kajol is always so natural, she delivers it with so much ease. Its such a pleasure watching her after so many days. Shah Rukh delivers one of the best performances of his career, the one with the likes of his Chak De and Swades performance. No one else would've been able to do this, other than him. With the collections rising everywhere throughout the world, this movie is gonna go real big, and very far. FOX Pictures, Karan Johar and Red Chillies have definitely got it right this time. I'd give it a rating of 3.75/5. I hope no one minds .25 denominations. :)

1 comment:

  1. Just saw the movie & then, read your review. & I don't think anybody would've minded 0.25 deduction until you'd probed that point! :P I'd give it 4/5 with pinch of generosity which came into play only because I also went with huge expectations otherwise, I wouldn't even consider that it deserved anything less than that... Even if it's 0.25 lesser! :)

    ReplyDelete